Red Dawn (2012)
is a pointless and bad remake. Thirty years from now no one will be watching the remake. If you have an urge to see this remake, may I suggest one of the three following actions:
* Watch the intelligent Australian version of Red Dawn called Tomorrow When the War Began
. It's on Netflix instant streaming . (I haven't read the Tomorrow series of books, can't speak to them.)
* Watch the original: I saw the original on the big screen a year or two ago and it had some elements that held up over the decades (Powers Boothe, for example. Harry Dean Stanton, for another). If you watch the Special Edition DVD you can have an onscreen Carnage Counter tallying violent actions, if that's what you really want:
Spoilers for the remake under the cut. Really, if you care about spoilers, don't read inside. ( warning: spoilers inside the cut )
* Bullet to the Head - Stallone as a killer partners with a cop to hunt the axe-wielding mercenary killer who killed Stallone's partner. Think 48 Hours (especially since Bullet is also directed by walter Hill) crossed with Stallone's movie Cobra. Tagline: "Revenge Never Gets Old".
* Zero Dark Thirty - Kathryn Bigelow's film about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. December.
* The Last Stand - Arnold S as a sheriff in a US/Mexican border town, major drug dealer coming through. The small-town sheriff must mount an effective blockade. January.
* A Good Day to Die Hard - Because what you need for Valentine's Day 2013 (seriously, that's the opening date) is Bruce Willis in Die Hard 5, bonding or not with his adult kids in Moscow among international plots and a hail of bullets.
 The film Tomorrow When the War Began is available on Netflix streaming in the US. It is said to not be available on Netflix in Canada.